Introduction to ASP.NET 5
ASP.NET 5 is a lean .NET stack for building modern web apps. We built it from the ground up to provide an optimized development framework for apps that are either deployed to the cloud or run on-premises. It consists of modular components with minimal overhead, so you retain flexibility while constructing your solutions.
ASP.NET 5 includes the following features:
- New flexible and cross-platform runtime
- New modular HTTP request pipeline
- Cloud-ready environment configuration
- Unified programming model that combines MVC, Web API, and Web Pages
- Ability to see changes without re-building the project
- Side-by-side versioning of the .NET Framework
- Ability to self-host or host on IIS
- New tools in Visual Studio 2015
- Open source in GitHub
The changes we made for ASP.NET 5 were based on customer requests and feedback. These changes simplify development, hosting, and maintenance, and are targeted to modern web apps.
Your legacy apps will run on the new version of the ASP.NET without any modifications. However, to take advantage of the new features in ASP.NET 5, you will need to port your existing code to the new framework. You will find many similarities between ASP.NET 5 and earlier versions of ASP.NET, so porting code involves fixing particular issues rather than re-writing the app.